How about a win??
I’ve had a few technical issues lately, but for now I am back up and running. I’ve heard a rumor that my comments aren’t working, so if you could be so kind as to leave me one, no matter how short, even if it is to tell me that I have the worst blog you have ever read, then I would greatly appreciate it. But, on to more interesting things!
For starters, how about a win tonight? We have our ace on the mound. Hopefully the King can come through on offense, with a little help from the rest of the deck. We’ve been playing spades with a hand full of clubs lately, but I have faith that this team is not as bad as the past week has made us feel. We know Carp will be ok. Reyes seems to be competent so far (3 runs over 13 innings of work, but only 1 run in support? To paraphrase Mike Shannon, "Come on birds! We need some tallies!"). Rolen is rollin’ and King Albert is back (a little too early, I think, but back none-the-less). These are good things.
But this past week has exposed that we still have a lot of questions to answer before we can return to our blissful ride to the playoffs, such as:
- Where is the rest of the offense now that King Albert is back? Where have the 6 and 5 runs we scored in the ChiSox blowouts gone?
- Will Mulder be healthy enough for the 2nd half? If he is healthy, will he be an asset or a liability? What the he77 happened there anyway?
- What are we looking to get before the trade deadline? A power bat or a power arm? We need both, but we can’t afford both.
- What exploded in the bullpen? (or has it been broken all along???)
- Who will round out the rotation? Will Reyes get kicked back to Memphis (let’s hope not)? Are Suppan, Marquis, and Ponson really who we want pitching in the playoffs?
As I write this, we are up 2-1 in the top of the 6th. Edmonds made a baserunning gaffe and Carpy has not been the sharpest, but right now we are leading and that is what is important. A win is a win no matter how ugly and I’ll take a hard-fought victory anyday.
Update: Rolen just jacked one out… 3-1 Redbirds!
Update 2 (21:37) – 4 relievers, including Izzy, blow the 3-1 lead and we are now losing 4-3. Excuse me while my aneurisym blows.
So far my Card analogy is as follows:
Joker – Reyes (Could turn the game in your favor, but will you get it in time?)
A – Carpenter
K – Pujols
Q – Edmonds? (as in Drama? Cold, I know. Undeserved? Maybe…)
J – Rolen (Not the most powerful, but can win it in a pinch)